This section of the site was uploaded on 16 September 2010 and was last updated on 17 September 2013
Annual Report, 2011/2012
The attendance figures for 2011-2012 show an improvement on those which were reported last year. This improvement can be ascribed to the introduction of an attendance monitoring system which among other things involved home visits and sending text messages to targeted parents whose sons has been very poor attenders in 2010/11. 25 pupils achieved full attendance during the year and were presented with gold certificates from the Education Welfare Board.
Total enrolment continues to be a source of serious concern. The enrolment figure on 30 September 2011 was 422, and at the end of the school year it was 426, but this figure masks an underlying decline in total enrolments. The figure for the coming year will show a significant decrease because of the impact of the new Educate Together School at Holywell, and the fact that the number of pupils transferring from 6th Class will be greater that the prospective enrolment. The most obvious impact of this loss of numbers will be the introduction of composite classes for the first time in many years. It is singularly unfortunate that enrolment trends are not ascertained by the DES before it engages in the provision of new schools in the area.
Cut-backs continue to impact on staff numbers. There will be 1 less Language Support Teacher during the new school year, but the number of SNAs has been maintained at 5.5. A clustering arrangement has been entered into with St Colmcille’s GNS.
What did the Board have oversight of during the school year, 2011-2012?
- Production of a Development Plan as an underpinning for initiatives and activities during the school year
- Management of the school budget within the context of a significant reduction in the Capitation Grant. One of the consequences of this reduction was the necessity to organise a sponsored walk which realised the sum of €1082.20
- In conjunction with the Parents’ Association, the Board sourced a stock of school clothing which it sold at reduced prices
- Liaised with the Department of Education and Skills during the application process for a stand-alone building to replace some of the Portacabins. This initiative is now at the planning permission stage. A decision is expected on 13 September 2012. If the outcome is favourable, it is hoped to have the new building in place by the end of the First Term of the new school year
- Liaised with the Special Education Needs Organiser with specific reference to the provision of special needs resources. There will be 8 resource teachers and 5.5 Special Needs Assistants in the school for the new school year
- Liaised with Fingal County Council with regard to water metering and meeting with representatives of St Colmcille’s GNS to effect a separation of the water supplied to the two schools
- Members attended or assisted with the various events such as Teddy Bears Picnic, Carol Service, X-Factor, Multi-cultural evening and the Concerts
The Parents’ Association organised a raffle which resulted in a contribution of €3000 being made to school funds. It also was involved in the organisation of the multi-cultural evening which was held in April 2012 and it assisted at the series of concerts which were held in June 2012. The Parents’ Association funded treats for jog day, the visit of Santa and Sports Days, and it organised a Teddy Bears’ Picnic for the new Junior Infant pupils on the Sunday prior to the commencement of the new school year.