Ms Olivia Clinton, RIP
The tragic death of Ms Olivia Clinton on Friday, 17 January 2014 has cast a deep shadow on our school community. Plans are in place to commemorate her memory with a memorial garden.
Her family has asked that the following message be included in this Newsletter.
“The Clinton Family, Ciarán and baby Éabha would like to take this opportunity to offer our sincerest thanks to Mr Bennett, staff members, pupils and all your families for your ongoing support, generosity and good wishes following the recent bereavement of our beloved Olivia. May she rest in peace. There are not enough words to express our gratitude to each and every one of you.”
The School Year
Board of Management
The Board of Management took up office in November 2011. It met monthly on a formal basis, and all BOM members visited the school regularly. A number of policy documents were re-drafted during the course of the year, and details of them are contained in the minutes of the BOM.
What did the Board have oversight of during the school year, 2013-2014?
- Production of a Development Plan as an underpinning for initiatives and activities during the school year
- Management of the school budget within the context of a significant reduction in the Capitation Grant
- In conjunction with the Parents’ Association, the Board sourced a stock of school clothing which it sold at reduced prices
- Liaised with the Department of Education and Skills during the application process for a stand-alone building to replace some of the Portacabins. The new Resource Building was completed in November 2013
- Members attended or assisted with the various events such as Teddy Bears Picnic, Carol Service, Multi-cultural evening, First Communion and Confirmation
- Production of a publicity brochure
- Negotiations with Fingal County Council with regard to water metering and the agreement of a settlement figure for water rates
- The drafting of a revised policy on Anti-Bullying which has been uploaded to the school website, www.colmcilles.net
- Obtained details of parental attitudes to school uniforms and tracksuits
- We extend our best wishes to Oliver Fitzmaurice and Heloiza Cardeal on the occasion of their forthcoming marriage
- We congratulate Ms Seaver and her husband, JP on the birth of their daughter, Eleanor
- We thank Ms Rachel Lavin, Ms Amanda Appleby and Ms Teresa Flanagan who have completed their contracts at our school, and we wish them well as they embark on the next phase of their careers.
Booklists and Book Rental Scheme
- Booklists were issued on 16 June 2014. More specific details with regard to arrangements are contained on the book list circular.
Allocation of Teaching Duties for 2014-15
- The list will be circulated to parents on Tuesday, 24 June
- To Fingallians GFC which has provided football and hurling coaching
- To Fingallians and Swords Celtic for permitting the pupils to use their pitches and facilities
- To Malahide Rugby Club for providing Rugby coaching
- To the parents who provided books, uniforms, track-suits during the year
- To the parents who provided transport to football, soccer and athletic events
- To Ms Brannigan who donated a signed Irish soccer jersey to the school. The jersey was raffled, and the sum of €420 was realised
- To the members of our school community who ran in the Dublin City Mini-Marathon on behalf of our school. The amount raised was €833.50
- To the Executive of the Parents’ Association for their co-operation and involvement in the school
- To Mr Steve Garvey and the Dromgoole Family for donating computer hardware
Local History Archive and Book
- The school has a substantial local history archive, and work is being done with regard to making the material available for future generations. As part of this initiative, a book, Images of Swords, was published last year. It has now been sold out, and Fingal County Council has agreed to support a re-print edition which will be available in September 2014.
Boys in 6th Class
The Graduation Mass for the boys and their parents will be held at 11.00 a.m. on Tuesday, 24 June 2014. We thank the boys and their parents for their courtesy and co-operation during the past eight years and wish them well for the future.
End of Year Arrangements
- The school will close at 12.00 on Friday, 27 June 2014
- The school will re-open at 8.50 a.m. on Thursday, 28 August 2014.
- The school will be open for the full school day on 28 August 2014.
We take this opportunity to thank all the members of our school community for their courtesy, goodwill and co-operation during this school year. We wish you all a very happy and peaceful summer vacation
Ní neart go cur le chéile