The Board of Management
A new Board of Management was constituted in December 2011, and as the school year draws to a close, it is opportune to review some of the work which the Board has overseen during this period. The 8 members of the Board are as follows:
Mr Thomas Shields (Chairperson), Fr Peter Mc Carron, Mrs Margaret Mc Kernan (Secretary), Mr Mathew Ladrigan (Treasurer), Ms Blaithin White, Mrs Jean Mc Loughlin, Mr Joseph Dromgoole, and Mr James Bennett. Mrs Mc Loughlin will be stepping down from the BOM because her son has now completed his primary education. We thank her for the contribution which she has made to our school community during the years when her sons attended our school.
Functions of the Board of Management
The Board oversees all matters relating to the management of the school. It appoints teachers and ancillary staff, and it oversees the maintenance of the school. It meets once per month on a formal basis, but some Board members visit the school weekly, and other Board members are in the school on a daily basis.
- Production of a Development Plan as an underpinning for initiatives and activities during the school year
- Management of the school budget within the context of a significant reduction in the Capitation Grant. One of the consequences of this reduction was the necessity to organise a sponsored walk to supplement school funds.
- In conjunction with the Parents’ Association, the Board sourced a stock of school clothing which it sold at reduced prices
- Liaising with the Department of Education and Skills during the application process for a stand-alone building to replace some of the Portacabins. This initiative is now at the planning permission stage, and it is hoped to have the new building in place by the end of the First Term of the new school year
- Liaising with the Special Education Needs Organiser with specific reference to the provision of special needs resources. There will be 8 resource teachers and 5.5 Special Needs Assistants in the school for the new school year
- Liaising with Fingal County Council with regard to water metering
- Members attended or assisted with the various events such as Teddy Bears Picnic, Carol Service, X-Factor, Multi-cultural evening and the Concerts
The School Year, Retrospect and Prospect
The economic difficulties of our country have had a very severe impact on many members of our school community, and the effects of education cut-backs will continue to impact with the loss of 1 language resource post.
- We extend our good wishes to Ms Eimear Hurley and Ms Coleen Mc Gee who have completed their contracts at our school, and we thank them for their devoted service to our pupils
- We congratulate Ms Orla O’ Doherty and her husband, Barry on the birth of their daughter, Caragh
- We welcome back Ms Caroline Cottell who is returning from a job-sharing arrangement in Holy Family SNS
- We extend our good wishes to Ms Coleen Mc Gee and Mr Colm Morris, to Ms Olivia Clinton and Mr Ciarán Dunne, and to Ms Maria Kildea and Mr John Paul Moore on the occasion of their forthcoming weddings
Booklists and Book Rental Scheme
Booklists were issued on 14th June. The school is operating a book rental scheme and some books will be available for rent from Monday, 25 June onwards.
Allocation of Teaching Duties for 2012-13
· The list will be circulated to parents on Monday, 25 June.
- We thank the pupils, teachers and ancillary staff for the tremendous amount of work which they put into the staging of the concerts.
- We congratulate all concerned on their success because these concerts were a tremendous example of our school community working in harmony.
- Thanks very much to the companies and parents who supported the concerts by taking advertisements in the programme, by providing raffle prizes, by assisting at the concerts and by attending in such numbers on each day.
- A DVD of each concert will be available from the Office from Monday, 25 June, price – €10 each.
- To Fingallians GFC which has provided football and hurling coaching
- To Fingallians and Swords Celtic for permitting the pupils to use their pitches and facilities
- To Fingal County Council and the Leinster Cricket Union which provided the services of a cricket coach
- To the parents who provided books, uniforms, track-suits during the year
- To the parents who provided transport to football and soccer events
- To the Executive of the Parents’ Association for their co-operation and involvement in the school, and specifically for the donation of €3,000 towards school funds
Boys in 6th Class
The Graduation Mass for the boys and their parents will be held at 11.00 a.m. on Tuesday, 26 June 2011. We thank the boys and their parents for their courtesy and co-operation during the past eight years and wish them well for the future.
End of Year Arrangements
- The school will close at 12.00 on Friday, 29 June 2012
- The school will re-open at 8.50 a.m. on Thursday, 30 August 2012
- The school will be open for the full school day on 30 August 2012
We take this opportunity to thank all the members of our school community for their courtesy, goodwill and co-operation during this school year. We wish you all a very happy and peaceful Summer vacation
Ní neart go cur le chéile