- During the course of the year, Ms Geraldine Gallagher, Ms Cora Rohan, Ms Maria Harris and Ms Celine Quigley transferred to other schools. Ms Elaine O’Brien and Mr Tomás Moriarty have obtained positions in other schools for 1 September 2001, and Ms Caroline Archer and Ms Fiona Sheridan will not be returning to our school in September 2001. We thank each one of these teachers for their service in our school, and wish them well in their future endeavours. We also wish Mr Jimmy Byrne and Ms Ruth O’Dwyer well as they commence on career breaks.
- New Appointments: At the time that this newsletter is being prepared, the new appointments have not yet been finalised.
- New Secretary: We welcome Ms Carmel Heron, our new Assistant Secretary, to the school.
- Mrs. Weldon, our school cleaner, is very welcome back after her recovery from illness.
Review of Developments During School Year 2000/01
Progress has continued to be made with regard to Information Technology. A network has been installed in the IT Room, and half of the classrooms have also been networked. 4 extra PC’s were acquired during the course of the year. The target for next year is to acquire a PC for every class, and to network the remaining classrooms.
Congratulations to the boys in 6th Class whose local history project was highly commended in the Mi-Wadi competition. It is hoped to publish this work in book form in early September 2001.
At the sporting level, every class from First to Sixth Class received specialist coaching in a variety of sports. We thank Declan Power, GAA, Shane Maxwell, Fingallians, Paddy Reilly, Shelbourne AFC and Dave Mc Geehan, Malahide CC for giving their time so generously to our pupils. Congratulations to the school soccer which reached the final of the Fingal Schools’ League, to the school Gaelic team which competed in the Fingal Schools’ League Blitz, and to the school cricket team which played in six tournaments.
- To Ms Fiona Sheridan for providing tuition in French. We hope to provide French classes again during the new school year
- To Mrs. Rooney for teaching speech and drama. Mrs. Rooney will not be returning to our school as she has obtained a position elsewhere.
- To Mr C. Mc Rory for teaching keyboard to the boys. We hope that this development can be maintained during the new school year.
There has been no fund raising in the school since 1998. On 26 September 2001, the Parents’ Association is promoting a Race Night. This is the only fund raising which will be undertaken by the school during the new school year. Please support this venture so that the additional resources and services which are required for the implementation of the Revised Primary School Curriculum can be purchased.
Health and Safety Issues
Cars in School Ground: Our insurers have asked that parents / guardians be reminded that it is prohibited to drive cars into the school grounds during official opening hours. Complaints have been received recently that this requirement is being ignored by some parents. Your co-operation in this regard is vital because of the risks to the children especially at opening and closing times.
Meningococcal C Vaccination Programme
The pupils from Junior Infants to Second Class (inclusive) will be vaccinated on Monday, 25 June 2001. Pupils in the other classes will be vaccinated during the first term of the new school year.
Food and Drink
The Board of Management has decided that with effect from 1 September 2001, children will not be allowed to bring food or drink to the yard at break times. This regulation is being introduced for hygienic reasons and to reduce the amount of litter in the grounds.
Transfer to Post Primary Schools
We congratulate the pupils in 6th Class who are transferring to post primary schools in September 2001. We thank them for the contribution which they made to so many aspects of school life during their eight years in the school, and wish them well in their new schools.
Arrangements for End of Term
The school will close at 12.00 on Friday, 29 June 2001, and re-open at 8.50 a.m. on Monday, 3 September 2001.
We take this opportunity to thank the pupils, parents, ancillary staff, Board of Management and Parents’ Association for their support and co-operation during the course of the year. We hope that you have a happy, peaceful holiday. Rath Dé oraibh go léir.